Monday 19 July 2010

France Trip - Day 1 - Arriving (7/17) and Day 3 - Trip to St Tropez (7/19)

DAY 1 - Arriving at Nice Airport and driving to Frejus

We took off from Newcastle airport at around 5 PM, when taking off I remember seeing the Pontop Pike radio/TV mast and it was quite low compared to how high we were, makes me wonder why TV masts like Pontop and Bilsdale need the aircraft warning lights. My Dad had his cell phone (HTC Desire) with FM radio so into the flight I managed to do some DXing and heard France INFO on 105.2 from Lille at 400KW when flying over the Channel. This is a very strong signal and can be first picked up around Maidstone, Kent. I expect to receive it in Dover in January. I also flew over Paris but couldn't see the Eiffel Tower. We arrived at Nice (Cote D'Azur) Airport just after 8 PM, collected our bags and headed over to the rental office to pick up our car which is a Ford Focus. Dawn then drove from the airport over to Le Dattier camping over in Frejus. About an hour drive. I enjoyed listening to French radio such as Skyrock. When we arrived at Le Dattier we got to our caravan to discover there was no electricity as it had been switched off and Dave was hunting around for the electric box to switch it on but we couldn't find it. We even rang the caravan owners in Liverpool but they weren't much help. A Dutchh man in the caravan opposite helped my Dad try to find the electric box but had no luck. We eventually just had to go to sleep in the dark.

DAY 3 - Trip to St Tropez

Today we went to St Tropez, which is a small town at the end of the Cote D'Azur. Me, Dave and Dawn left in the car at exactly 12 PM (Dawn driving). It took over an hour to drive to St Tropez, but I enjoyed listening to Skyrock, my favourite French radio station. I heard songs from the French artists Canardo (Je ne perds pas le nord), Sexion D'Assaut (Desole/Wati By Night) and Nessbeal (A Chaque Jour Suffit Sa Peine) and American/English speaking artists Rihanna (Te Amo/Love The Way You Lie (ft Eminem)) and Sean Paul (Hold My Hand) - Love that song :) oh and Usher (OMG), and not forgetting B.O.B and Bruno Mars (Nothin' On You). When we got to St Tropez the first thing we did was walk along the front and saw some boats leave the port. Dave and Dawn got a squishy type refreshment, after that I got a can of Coke. We then walked along the beach and up to the castle, but when we got all the way up I didn't want to go any further so my Dad (Dave) gave me 5 Euros for another can of Coke and I went back down, I got a bit lost but I managed to get back on track. I went to the shop we went earlier and bought another can of Coke, I also spoke in French, the conversation went something like this:


Cashier: Bonjour
Jack: Bonjour, deux Cola s'il-vous plais
Cashier: deux Cola?
Jack: Oui
***Jack hands money and gets Coke***
Jack: Merci


I went back to the beach because that was the meeting point for Dave and Dawn, I drank my Coke then went back. I sat down but wasn't sitting too long as Dave and Dawn came back about 10-15 mins later. We went back to the car and surprisingly, Dave drove all the way back! When we got back I went in the shower and then had tea, I had pizza and fries (Nothing new there then lol), me and Dave also watched a game show called 'Mots de Passe' on the TV channel France 2. 'Mots' means 'Words'. I enjoyed that. We have been Debbie and Lesley's caravan at night just to check on it, then have a drink there. Debbie is Dawn's sister and Lesley is Debbie's husband, they are coming over tomorrow with some kids from the family. Anyway that's all for now, please comment, I do read all comments, Merci et Au Revoir.

Note - Any times mentioned here are in French time (CEST +0200).

No comments:

Post a Comment